The International Olympic Academy functions as a multicultural interdisciplinary centre that aims at studying, enriching and promoting Olympism. The foundation of such an institution was inspired by the ancient Gymnasium, which shaped the Olympic Ideal by harmoniously cultivating body, will and mind. On the eve of the 21st century, the centennial anniversary of the revival of the Olympic Games coincides with the global scale changes that are affecting every aspect of human thought and activity.
The aim of the International Olympic Academy is to create an international cultural centre in Olympia, to preserve and spread the Olympic Spirit, study and implement the educational and social principles of Olympism and consolidate the scientific basis of the Olympic Ideal, in conformity with the principles laid down by the ancient greeks and the revivers of the contemporary Olympic Movement, through Baron de Coubertin's initiative.
The mission of the IOA is:
- To function as an International Academic Centre for Olympic Studies, Education and Research.
- To act as an International Forum for free expression and exchange of ideas among the Olympic Family, intellectuals, scientists, athletes, sport administrators, educators, artists and the youth of the world.
- To bring together people from all over the world, in a spirit of friendship and cooperation.
- To motivate people to use the experiences and knowledge gained in the IOA productively, in promoting the Olympic Ideals in their respective countries.
- To serve and promote the Ideals and principles of the Olympic Movement.
- To cooperate with and assist the National Olympic Academies and any other institutions devoted to Olympic Education.
- To further explore and enhance the contribution of Olympism to humanity.
For more information please visit the International Olympic Academy.